Wednesday, December 18, 2019

2.14 Missing Part


Damaris makes it official and asks Santos to move in. 



Ume frowns at her notes. 

She's supposed to write an essay to finish off her creative writing class about the strangest thing to happen to her.

I screamed when I saw the haunted house, but I don't know why

On my fourteenth birthday, I cried because... 

I've felt like a part of me has been missing

Who is she? 



It's too difficult to put into words, the feeling that overcomes her when she passes the town cemetery, the reaction she had to the haunted house in the park, the feeling she has when she thinks she sees something out of the corner of her eye... 

She frowns. The teacher said it didn't have to be a real story. 

She decides to write about seeing a unicorn by one of Twinbrook's secluded ponds. 




Ume gets a call when she's checking on the laundry outside. 

"Hello?" 

"Hi, Ume, this is Ms. Lidell, we spoke over email?" 

Ume's smile turns into a grin. "Oh, is this about my application?" She can hardly contain her growing excitement. She starts bouncing up and down. 



She's nearly hollering by the end of the call. 

"Yes! I accept! Thank you, thank you-," 

Ms. Lidell laughs, "I'm glad you're excited. Please come to the lab in two weeks at 8 AM." 





It's coincidental, but the same night the family is having a party. Ume certainly feels like celebrating! 

Damaris makes sure to dress for the occasion. 



It's Ume and Tatum's birthday!

"Birthday!" Kaira wants to show she understands what's happening. 

"Yeah it's your sister's birthday! The kids are all growing so fast," Damaris sighs. 



"And breaking things fast," Santos jokes. He's just finished fixing Dot's laptop. Someone tried put a rock in the cooling fan... 




Tatum has no idea who that could be. But if anyone asks, Lucky did it. 



The nursery is soon packed with people. 



Dot mingles with the guests. 




Buck Green is also in attendance. Damaris gives a small "hmph" and makes a show of turning on her heel and walking away from him. Buck rolls his eyes. 



"What're you doing out here by yourself? It's your party!" Aloiso is confused to find his little sister far away from the other guests. 



"I was trying to light this stupid fire, to roast marshmallows with Tatum, but it wouldn't work," Ume sighs with frustration. 

Aloiso puts some kindling into the pile and lights the pile of branches. The fire grows strong quickly. 

"Beginner's luck," Ume scoffs. 



"I'm going inside, but...happy birthday. Have fun with your marshmallows!" Aloiso is quick to escape the cold. 




Ume stares at the empty seat. It somehow feels like someone else should be here with her. 

It's probably because no one from school is here, she tries to rationalise this feeling. She was so excited to announce her internship at the science lab to everyone... but just her luck, everyone's out of town or has a final tomorrow! 



Still, Ume hums happily as she roasts some marshmallows over the fire. She's got a pretty good start after high school! 




She does eventually come inside to blow out her candles. While putting Kaira to bed, she glances up at the picture with the "mysterious stranger", as Dot calls her. Her, the little girl no one remembers. 

Ume feels that strange emptiness that's been following her around whenever she sees that picture. 

Maybe, once she's in a high enough position, she could find some scientific explanation for this thing she's feeling. 




For now, she lets it go. 



 "I'm happy for you- the science lab! I was never any good at my science lessons...chemical equations confused me way too much." Dot congratulates her younger sister.



Tatum joins them. "So- do I get your room?" her smile is mischevious. 

Ume laughs, "You had your own room already, Tater-tot." 

"But your room is bigger!" 



"You're not moving bedrooms- not after I just redecorated," Dot puts an end to the matter. 

"Then can I get a chemistry set?" 

Dot laughs, "Is everyone here science crazy but me?" 

"So can I?" 

Dot rubs her daughter's shoulder, "As a birthday present, sure." 



While her mom and aunt clean up outside, Tatum goes in to change Kaira's diaper. 



Something...strange...happens. 

"Kaira?" all the sleepiness goes right out of her system. "Kaira??" 



Rewind. 

Tatum can't help but feel a sense of...deja vu... 

I really need to hit the hay, she thinks with a yawn. First, this diaper change. 



The next morning is Ume's graduation. 

"Ooooh, my youngest is going off already!" Damaris doesn't bother wiping away her tears. 

"I'll still be in town, mom!" Ume laughs. Though not required, Ume moves in with another intern from the lab. They'll be making frequent trips to collect data and preform research in the wider Simsouri area, so Ume figures it's easier if she lives with someone who has the same schedule. 



"Good luck, Ume," Tatum hugs her aunt goodbye. 

"By the time I get back from my trip, I expect you to know all the potions from your chemistry set," Ume teases. She'll be sitting in a computer lab one town over for the next few weeks helping to run simulations and run errands. 




Finally, she says farewell to her older sister. 

"I'll miss you, Ume." 

Ume smiles, though tears start to form, "I'll miss you too, Dot." 

Maybe now she'll find that missing part of hers. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN: So Ume's rolled occupation when she was being considered for heiress was scientist. Her personality didn't call that to mind at all, but it was still one of her possible LTWs, so I let her take the job anyways. Her traits are: 

-Excitable
-Vegetarian
-Family oriented 
-Unlucky 
-Night owl

Tatum is a teen! Her traits are: 

-Ecofriendly
-Loves the outdoors
-Artistic
-Handy 

I swear Kaira should already be in her child stage by now... I guess the age gap between her and Tatum was bigger than I thought. 


1 comment: