Sunday, July 5, 2020

2.23 Not a Team Player


I'm not sure why I took this photo of Aloiso, but I hope you guys enjoy it. 







Santos follows this poor guy around the library, badgering him for an interview. Cornered in the bathroom, he relents and tells Santos his honest opinion about the library. 

"The books are ok. Could use a working toilet." 

Santos notes this down fastidiously. One day his boss will note the hard work he's put into even his most mind-numbing pieces and he'll get to write actual content... right? 



Another day, another mind moulded. 




Kaira herself gets home from another uneventful shift at the spa. 

"Buzz off," she snaps irritably at Lu, "I can't think with you standing around like that." 





"Like what?" 

"Like that! With that dumb look on your face!" 

Lu touches his face. "But I always look like this." 

"Well, nobody's perfect," Kaira replies venemously. 



Lu is unphased and sits next to Kaira when she finishes her homework. 

"Fried chicken looks nice," he ventures, watching characters on TV eat their food, "I've never had it before." 

"You've never had anything before." 

"I know! It's the worst." 

Kaira glances at him. "So why don't you change that?" 

Lu hums thoughtfully. "I wish I could. I can't seem to change into another form, though. I've tried eating like this, but, uh, no teeth. Or digestive system. It's all cloth in here," he pats his stomach. 



For a moment, Kaira feels a small pang of sympathy for Lucky, and then pushes it away. 

"Trying to eat? Is that what you do all day?" she tuts. 

"Nope. As soon as you leave the house, I turn back into a doll. It's pretty boring, actually." 

"Boo hoo." 

Lucky sighs. "Yeah." 

Kaira turns the TV off. "I'm going to bed. Go find someone else to bother." 

He doesn't bother pointing out that he turns into a doll whenever she sleeps too. 



While Kaira gets ready for bed, Lucky hangs back in Tatum's room. He's caught glimpses of her working on a way to turn him into a normal sim, but hasn't observed the entire process. 

"I can't believe this," Tatum mutters to herself, staring at her singed skin and clothes. "Why won't it work!?" 

"I wish I knew," Lucky sighs, even though Tatum can't hear him. "Thanks for trying, though. I wish you didn't have to do all of this for me." 

All he can do is watch as Tatum puts her equipment away and calls it a night. 

***



Art class again. Tatum has finished her art piece and is killing time before her next class. Mr. Potts doesn't care what the students get up to if their work is finished, so she uses her break to read. 

Lester is also finished, but is too lazy to do his homework or study. Tatum is surprised when he sits next to her. She hasn't talked to him very much and outside of art class, almost never sees him around school. 

"Soooo...." Lester strikes up conversation, "Do you have a partner yet?" 



"Partner for what?" Tatum doesn't look away from her chemistry book. There must be something in here that explains why her potions for Lucky keep exploding. 

"For the gallery competition..." For their final project of the year, Mr. Potts decided that instead of the usual art portfolio of 10 artworks that their assignment would be to make an original piece of art to show in the town gallery in the summer. Only two projects would be selected for the summer show though they would all get a grade. They have until the end of the week to decide on making it a group project with stricter grading criteria or doing a solo submission. More work, but more leniency with the marking. 

Tatum looks up. "Ohhhh, I completely forgot about that! So, uh, no. Not yet. Why? You want to partner up?"



Lester nods. "We have similar styles, and I think your work is pretty original. I really liked your painting of the sun that you did today." 

Tatum blushes, "Thanks, Lester. I like your paintings, too." One them is hanging above the bookshelf in the back of the art room. Mr. Potts said it was the "best abstract painting of winter" he'd seen in the past few years. 

"So what do you say? Partners?" 



Tatum looks nervously at Elias. She would've partnered with him if she'd remembered to ask, and she knows he doesn't get along with Lester. She doesn't want to hurt his feelings...

Elias pointedly ignores her stare, as if to say "do whatever you want." Tatum furrows her brow. Well, if he's already annoyed with her... 

"Sure, let's do it. We can talk about ideas tomorrow." 

She doesn't notice Elias's hand slip and make a big streak of red on his canvas.

***



The next day the entire class has paired off or decided to make individual entries. Everyone but Jeremy, Tatum's younger half-brother, has decided to work with someone else. 

"So I was thinking, let's not do a painting. We paint so much for this class anyways and the gallery is full of old paintings. I want to submit something...original," Tatum says in a rush. She did a lot of research into this and wants Lester to agree ASAP. 



Elias, meanwhile, reluctantly agreed to partner with the only freshman student in their class, Tiffanie. 

"I think Tatum has the right idea about not doing a painting," Finnley says, tapping the dry-erase marker thoughtfully against her fingers, "We should have something cool." 

Elias shrugs. "We're probably not going to be selected anyways, so it doesn't really matter to me." 

"Aw, don't be like that. We should have a positive attitude!" 



He shrugs again. "If you think that'll help. I just don't think we'll win." He doesn't add that he has never won against Lester in his life, but him being their direct competition definitely dampens their chances. 

"Well, even if we don't, let's make this a good grade. I need to pull up my average," Tiffanie makes a face. Just 'cause I'm not a 'team player' I always get marked down... She doesn't participate much in class and, until now, was able to avoid group work. I just wish I could get all these materials by myself, then I could've done this project alone! But alas, Tiffanie's budget is limited- as in, it's non-existent- and she had to admit defeat and buddy up. 



She looks enviously at Jeremie. He started his project ages ago and is nearly done. It's not a masterpiece, but he's proud of it anyways. She looks behind her and sees Lester staring at Jeremie as well. Looks like she isn't the only one who'd rather be working alone. 




"...Lester?" 

Lester pulls his eyes away from Jeremie's nearly finished drawing. "Sorry, I was just curious about his sketch. I got distracted. What were you saying?" 



Tatum smiles, happy to talk about her ideas, "So, like I said before, no easel... how about a sculpture?" 



Lester's eyebrows shoot up, "Really? I didn't get the best grade in ceramics..." 

Tatum just shakes her head, "That doesn't matter. I wasn't thinking of doing a clay sculpture." 

I really should've just worked on this by myself, then we could've done something simple... Why did he propose this partnership in the first place? Well, too late now. "What do you mean?"

She grins, "Well, we'll have to go to the beach..."



Meanwhile, Chandra is getting nervous and twitchy. 

"What's wrong?" Jereme asks cautiously. She was fine up until a moment ago, working on her half of their "nature through a child's eye" exhibition idea. He frowns when he sees that she didn't paint what they agreed on. Seeing the look on her face, though, he decides that can wait. 



"It's...too crowded. Too noisy. I don't like it when they all talk at once." 

Jereme's frown deepens. "Um... not many people are talking, though..." 

She gives him a look that says not them, duh, and he decides to just drop it. "You want to take a break, then? Go outside?" 

"Take a break from what?" 

"From...never mind. Let's just go." Jereme puts his paint brush down and starts untying his apron. 



They pass Tiffanie and Elias still brainstorming. Well, a one-sided brainstorm. Tiffanie thinks her head will explode. 

"But isn't a bunny too...elementary school? We won't get selected with an idea like that..." 

"Well do you have any ideas, then?" 

Elias sighs. It doesn't matter, there's no way they'll get selected anyways. Tiffanie massages her temples. "Let's stick to this, at least it's something." 

He shrugs. She grips her marker tightly. 

Just a few more weeks and this will be over... she reminds herself. 

The bell rings, saving her from thinking about this for today.
***



Not long after, Tatum and Lester meet at the beach just as they agreed. They could only meet today because of Tatum's part time job and Lester's babysitting schedule for his younger sister. 

"It's a lot warmer than I thought it would be," Lester remarks. It's spring, but instead of the chill he expected, the air is warm and balmy. 

"Thank goodness, too. Or else I'd be shivering in this bikini," Tatum laughs. 

"When should we set up? It doesn't look dark enough yet." 

Tatum nods. "In an hour, maybe? Let's look for a good spot." 



The sun goes down quickly and the air becomes chilly. Tatum shivers as she sets down a flashlight behind her and sits down. Trying not to flinch at the cold, she arranges herself into a pose. 

"Is the light enough for the photo?" she asks Lester. 

He fiddles with the filter and light settings on his phone's camera. "It should be, hang on." 

She shivers. "Don't take too long." 

"You'd think a 'mermaid' would be used to the cold," he points out. 

She squints at him. "I'm not a mermaid. Not yet, anyways." 

"You think we should include goosebumps on our sculpture?" 

"Just hurry up and take the photo or else we won't have a reference image at all." 



Tatum tries not to feel uncomfortable as he crouches down and looks for the best angle to take the picture. It was her idea to make a mermaid statue and to use herself as their reference model, but she can't help but feel uneasy with so much attention on her. 



Lester's face feels hot and he tries to avoid eye contact the entire time. He didn't think he'd have to get that close to Tatum for the pictures. He takes a quick look through the photos he has when he stands up. 

"I think we have a few good ones, it should be enough." 

Tatum feels a rush of relief, "That's great! I can't wait to get on some warm clothes..." 



She stands up to take a look at the pictures on his phone. When she leans towards him to look at his phone screen, the warmth in his face turns into a full on blush. 



"Are you alright?" Tatum asks, noticing the strange expression on his face. It's too dark for her to see his blush, something that Lester internally thanks the Watcher for. 

"Yeah, it's just...cold." Really smooth, Lester, he chides himself. 

Tatum doesn't seem to notice his clumsy excuse, "I can't wait to get a jacket on..."



She rifles through her backpack and pulls out her gym clothes. "I'm starving," she sighs, "But it looks like I've missed dinner at home..." 



"How about we grab something to eat at the diner? It's not far," Lester proposes. Seeing her hesitate, he adds, "I can pay for it. It's only fair, since you had to sit around in the cold." 

She briefly thinks of Elias's reaction if he finds out that she hung out with Lester, then pushes it out of her head. "I can split the bill." 

Lester shakes his head, "We can, if you want. But really, I don't mind paying." 

She smiles, "That's really nice of you, but I'll pay for my food." 

Lester shrugs, "Suit yourself."



They change into their normal clothes in the diner bathroom before sitting down to eat. After their plates have been cleared away, Tatum finds herself not wanting to go home just yet. 

"Do you ever paint at home?" 

Lester shakes his head, "No, my mom offered to get me an easel once for my birthday, but she forgot." 

"Oh....that sucks." 



Lester shrugs, "It's fine, she's a pretty forgetful person in general. How about you?" 

Tatum shakes her head, "We have an easel, but I'm always too busy to use it." 

"How come?" 

Tatum thinks about her answer. She can't exactly explain why she spends all of her free time at the chemistry set. "I also work at the graveyard, it doesn't give me a lot of free time," she tells a half-truth. 



Lester nods somberly, "I feel you. I spend most of my time babysitting." 

"Your sister?" 

He nods again, "She's just a toddler so I help my mom out after school. My dad passed away a while ago so it's just the three of us..." he trails off, embarrassed to have said so much to someone he doesn't know that well.

"That must be hard." 

Lester looks taken aback for a moment before regaining his composure, "Yeah...sometimes it is. But most of the time it's pretty chill," he manages a laugh, trying to seem nonchalant. 



"You sound like a good big brother." 

For the second time that night, Lester blushes, "Thanks..." 

An awkward silence descends on them, neither of them sure what to say. 



Eventually, Lester changes the subject. "So you never use your easel?" 

Tatum sighs, "I wish I could. I offered it to my little sister, but she said she didn't want my 'used gifts'," Tatum mimes quotation marks and rolls her eyes. 

Lester laughs, "Your sister's Kaira, right? The girl with the bob?" 

"Yeah, have you met her?" 

Lester nods, "She's in my science class. I offered to help her out with an experiment once, but she said she'd be 'just fine on my own, thank you very much. I don't need a babysitter!'" he does an uncanny impression of Tatum's younger sister. 

Tatum buries her face in her hands, "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. She's always like that!" 

Lester laughs, "It's alright. I don't take it personally." 

There's a pause in their conversation and Tatum decides to use the opportunity to ask Lester something. "So... I notice that you and Elias, uh..." 

"Don't get along?" Tatum nods and Lester takes a deep breath. "No, we don't." 

"Why not?" 

"Look, I know you're friends with him and I don't want to offend you or anything..." 

"I'm not looking to start an argument or anything! I'm just curious. I won't tell Elias anything." 

"You promise?" 

Tatum nods seriously. Lester stands up and motions for Tatum to come closer. There are some people who have just come out of the diner and he doesn't want to take the chance that somehow one of them will pass this along to Elias. In a town this small, you can never be sure. 



For good measure, he drops his voice to a whisper. 

"He thought Jenelle, his girlfriend, had a crush on me when we were little and it seems like...he still thinks that." Lester's discomfort shows strongly on his face and he looks around to see if anyone has heard him.

Tatum's eyes widen, "Really? But aren't you cousins?" 

"We are! And I told him that! And he just said "well, technically half cousins" like that means that we would..." Lester shudders. His mother, Kathy Coddle-Prudence, is the half-sister of Jenelle's father, Parker Curious-Prudence. 

"So you don't like her then?" 

Lester shoots her a disgusted look. "No!



He sounds so horrified that Tatum breaks down laughing. He covers his mouth, surprised that he said that so loudly. 

"Ok, sorry, said it without thinking... but do you and Jenelle get along?" 

"We used to, as kids. We would play together a lot. But the older we got, the meaner she became. We hardly talk anymore."

"I thought it was just me!" Tatum says before she can stop herself. Lester looks surprised, so she explains, "At prom she was kinda...stand-offish to me. Not exactly rude... but she wouldn't look at me, only gave me one-word answers if I tried to talk to her and Elias... and she said my dress looked 'better than she expected'? That was...kinda weird..." 

Lester rolls his eyes, "Sounds like Jenelle..." 

Tatum starts laughing and soon after, they're both trying to quiet their howling laughter. The lone diner employee gives them a sidelong glance before going back inside. Kids, he thinks with an eye roll. 



Reluctantly, Tatum pulls out her phone to check the time. As she thought, she'll be breaking curfew if she doesn't go home soon. 

"Thanks for taking the pictures. I had fun," Tatum says, patting Lester on the arm. 

Lester smiles, "Me too. See you tomorrow?" 

Tatum smiles back, "See you tomorrow." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN: The title of the chapter comes from the fact that a lot of the art class had the loner trait. Chandra, Tiffanie, and Lester... so half of them. 

Because the art class photos come from a different save, I didn't notice that it's summer there while it's spring in the main save file. Oops. Let's just say Twinbrook had a heat wave that year. 

EDIT: I just looked at the family tree and didn't realize that Lester and Jenelle were first cousins this whole time! I had to change the dialogue in this chapter after that. Sorry to anyone who read the original version who might be confused! 

No comments:

Post a Comment